1. When is GirlTrek’s walking tribute to celebrate Harriet Tubman’s 200th Birthday? On March 10th, 2022, GirlTrek’s one million members will lead the largest “moving tribute” to Harriet Tubman in history. All around the world, Black women will stop everything and walk 2.22 miles for Harriet Tubman’s 200th birthday. We walk for freedom and healing for Black women worldwide.
2. How do I participate in GirlTrek’s walking tribute to celebrate Harriet Tubman’s 200th Birthday?
It’s easy to participate:
STEP 1: RSVP! Tell us you're joining HERE.
STEP 2: SPREAD THE WORD! Put a special pair of sneakers by the door now as a reminder. Don’t move them until March 10, 2022. Snap a picture and share on your social channels using #WEAREHARRIET.
STEP 3: WALK! On March 10th, lace up, open your front door and walk with us. Wherever you are in the world, start your walk-in solidarity at sunrise. Imagine a wave of healing in our communities. As we walk, we will reflect on, and make commitments to our own personal health.
You can walk alone, Harriet-style or invite two or three of your closest family members, neighbors or friends. This is a sacred walk so we encourage you to refrain from making this a large event - distracted by permits and logistics. Please encourage women at your churches and schools to walk where they are - from their own front doors and to check in on the day of by sharing a photo using the hashtag #WEAREHARRIET.
3. Will GirlTrek host anything live on March 10th to celebrate Harriet’s Tubman’s 200th birthday?
YES. Morning Celebration: If you are walking alone, grab your earbuds and join GirlTrek’s co-founders for a live broadcast, special episode of the viral “walking podcast” called Black History Bootcamp. Co-Founder Vanessa Garrison will be joining members of Harriet Tubman‘s family live from her home in Auburn, New York.
To listen live at 9AM ET, Dial (646) 876-9923, Code: 734464325, Please note, if you are not able to listen live the episode will be loaded the following day on Apple, Spotify and Amazon podcasts.
Evening Celebration: In the afternoon/evening of March 10th, to celebrate what we’ve done, please join GirlTrek on Facebook Live from Harriet’s ancestral home in West Africa, co-founder Morgan Dixon will be broadcasting live from The Ashanti Kingdom in Kumasi. Harriet Tubman‘s grandmother was an Ashanti woman. GirlTrek will gather women from this mighty tribe to pay tribute.
Facebook live will begin at 1PM Eastern time, which is 6PM or sunset in West Africa, on the GirlTrek Healthy Black Women and Girls Facebook page and simulcast to its YouTube Channel.
4. Does GirlTrek offer training for women who want to lead walks in their neighborhood?
YES. Learn to lead like Harriet! If the spirit moves you during your walk on March 10th, we invite you to keep the momentum going by continuing walking 30 minutes per day for 10 days to learn to be a GirlTrek leader.
March 11-21 Dial into the 30-minute walking podcast at 12PM, ET each day. (Call-in details: Dial (646) 876-9923, Code: 734464325) GirlTrek co-founders will walk you through everything you need to know to start a walking team in your neighborhood. Join us in establishing your own daily discipline of self care, then come back and get your sisters.
Our 2022 aim is to activate and support new teams in 1000 historic Black neighborhoods.
5. How do we rep the movement on Harriet’s Birthday?
We encourage you to wear “superhero blue” because we believe we are the “Harriet’s of our Households”. If you would like an official GirlTrek shirt, click here.
6. Where can I find the Newsletter with all the details about this campaign?
HERE is everything you need to know about our upcoming #WEAREHARRIET 200th Birthday Celebration campaign.
7. I am trying to call in to the number on the graphic but it is not working. Is there another number I can use?
Yes. Our apologies. There was a typo on one of our graphics. To listen live at 9AM ET, Dial: (646) 876-9923, Code: 734464325. Please note, if you are not able to listen live, the episode will be loaded the following day on Apple, Spotify, and Amazon podcasts.
Have more questions? Email our Community Care Team at info@girlTrek.org
Please sign in to leave a comment.